Wednesday, July 22, 2015

A Beginners Guide: Dresser to TV Stand

Ok guys, I completed my first large DIY project! I'm not going to lie, I was little scared to get started, yet excited to see what I'm capable of. After searching through garage sale after garage sale, checking in at Goodwill and our local Restore, I found a dresser I could work with.

Quite the beauty isn't she. Sean looked at me like I was crazy when the dresser was delivered. He said he couldn't envision what this was going to look like once I finished. I reassured him that it was going to be great, but I was screaming my doubts on the inside. I am attempting to challenge myself to try new things. I figured...what the hey...it's here...why not try. I went to Home Depot to pick up a few supplies, and I'm almost positive the employees could tell I had no idea what I was looking for. I tried to make it seem like I belonged, but failed when I had to return three times because I forgot a scraping tool and a paint brush. The man at self check out smiled when I approached on my last visit, and asked me if I found everything this time. I'm sure I changed 10 shades of red before nodding, checking out, and practically running out of the store. My advice to you...make a list.
The top of this is extremely hard to get off. Sean and went back and forth until he was able twist it off. The instructions say to push down and twist slowly....ummm....there's no slow in this top. It should say force open anyway you can until you hear air released. [But I digress]
I applied a thin layer to the tops of the drawers. Let me be the one to tell you that will need MORE than a thin layer. There's quite a bit in that can, so don't be afraid to be generous or you'll end up applying multiple coats like I had to. I spent an entire evening trying to scraping and applying repeatedly before going to bed. Also, be sure to wear a mask over your nose and mouth. I inhaled so many fumes, and had a killer headache the rest of the night....my mistake.
The next morning, I decided to see what would happen if I sanded the rest of the paint off. I almost wish I had bought an a small sander from Home Depot, and skipped the stripper step all together. Would have saved me a lot of time, and maybe nixed the headache all together. I sanded the drawers and dresser by hand using 220 Grit sandpaper. I wish I had sanded the drawers a little more before applying stain. But, I am happy to report that Sean and I love the way our new tv stand turned out!
I still have to add the pulls, I can't seem to find any that fit, and think we may have to adjust the holes on each drawer. I'll be sure to show you the updated picture. I measured the inside of each drawer and had a Home Depot employee cut two pieces of wood for me. I told him the wood was for a cabinet and he brought me the wood, asking for measurements. I was happy because I had no idea what kind of wood I needed, and what he provided works perfectly. My measurements were a little off length wise, but I used the bar that the drawers slide on the keep the wood snugly in place. [Lucky for me they were the perfect width!] I used Minwax stain in Special Walnut. I actually bought 3 cans, and ended up returning two cans. There is more than enough, and a little bit of stain goes a long way. I love the rustic feel that it gives to the living room.
 
I don't think I will be able to stop. I already have so many ideas for future DIY projects. A DIY monster may have emerged from this project.
 
Have a great day all! 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment